Places of Art. Muzeum Sztuki in architectural projects, photographs and documents
Technical design of the southern facade's colours of the A building at ms1 (36 Więckowskiego Street), 1963-66.
ms1, 36 Więckowskiego St, reading room
As “The J. and K. Bartoszewicz Municipal Museum of History and Art”, from 1930 the museum occupied the floor of the former city hall at 1 Plac Wolności. At the end of World War II and until September 1946, it also used the building of the present-day Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography in Łódź at 14 Plac Wolności.
In 1946, after the nationalisation of "bourgeois" estates, carried out by the communist authorities, the museum received a palace that previously belonged to Maurycy Poznański, located at Więckowskiego Street 36.
Due to the systematic expansion of the collection and the desire to present them in a modern way, it was decided to build a new seat - in Park na Zdrowiu, as this place is commonly called.
In 1973, an architectural competition was announced for the design of a "multifunctional facility of Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź", won by Jan Fischer from Warsaw.
However, the project was never implemented. Instead, in 1976 the museum took over the historic post-factory residence belonging to the Herbst family at 72 Przędzalniana Street. The necessity of its detailed renovation and adaptation to new purposes meant that the first visitors did not come to it until 1990.
Nonetheless, new spaces for the world-famous collection were considered all the time. There were more or less fantastic concepts, such as taking over the former seat of Theater 7.15 at 234 Piotrkowska Street or Dom Buta, an interesting building at the corner of Piotrkowska and Tuwima Streets.
A new chapter in the history of Muzeum Sztuki began in 2008 with the opening of a new exhibition space at 19 Ogrodowa Street.
ms2, because that is the name of the branch, took over the weaving mill built in the 19th century which was a part of the industrial "Izrael Poznański’s empire". After the war, it became the Marchlewski plants and, since 2006, the Manufaktura shopping and entertainment centre.
In this way, Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź took possession of the city's symbols - a factory and palaces.
Due to the pandemic, the presentation of the archives is available every day, except Mondays, from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm and on Thursdays from 9.00 am to 6.00 pm, after prior appointment (tel. +48 42 639-12-64 ext. 56 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). At the same time, we are introducing a limit of one group per day of 3 people maximum. Entry costs PLN 1. You can also see the presentation with a valid ticket to the temporary exhibition at ms1.