The project titled Open Storage for Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź - Building J focuses on the reconstruction and extension of the “J” building situated in the main location of the Muzeum Sztuki. Construction works were launched in March 2017. The project consists in tearing down the existing building - which is in extremely poor technical shape and can be used only to a limited extent - to the line of window sills and adding on a new structure atop of what is left to finally cover 80%of the available unused plot adjacent the building, retrofitting it with complete technical infrastructure including safety and security systems, an alarm system and the purchase of necessary warehouse and workshop equipment. As a result of the project the museum will receive a two-storey building with larger usable and storage space that will host an open storage of artworks.
The main goal of the project is to adapt old facilities to become the Open Storage used by the Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź. This effort has been undertaken to accomplish the overarching objective of ensuring proper protection of cultural heritage and develop the cultural resources in the country. Directly, the project aims to contribute to the protection, preservation, and dissemination of cultural heritage and to cultural education by adapting (construction, reconstruction) of building “J” of the Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź.
Economic and social effects of the project:
- increase in the number of visitors including the number of tourists to the Museum
- preservation of cultural and historical heritage of the region, raising awareness and building local bonds
- elimination of barriers for the disabled
- dissemination of knowledge about the EU through promotional and information activities within the project
- innovative educational programmes targeting various age and social groups not only in Łódź but from all over the region and from other parts of the country: practical implementation of the idea of an open and participatory museum
- reduction of CO2 emission and the reduction of the overall maintenance cost of facilities
- boosting local community interest in art and culture
- professional space in regenerated historical premises created to facilitate cooperation between artists and researchers
Total value: 9 439 006.66 PLN
Project funded under the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020.
Subsidy from the European Regional Development Fund: 6 577 249.31 PLN
Project start and finish dates: 08.02.2016 – 30.06.2018
Project subsidised also by the Marshal Office of the Łódź Voivodeship.
Any irregularity or misappropriation of funds detected or suspected in the course of the project titled Open Storage for Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź - Building J shall be reported to the following e-mail addresses email@example.com, naduzycia.POIS@mir.gov.pl