Presentation of Archival Materials of the Neoplastic Room
Reading Room at ms¹, Więckowskiego 36
The Neoplastic Room serves not only as a memorable background for paintings, but is a work of art in itself. It was designed in 1948 by Władysław Strzemiński on order of Marian Minich, the then director of the Muzeum Sztuki. Originally, it was a presentation room for part of a.r. group’s collection of paintings by artists associated with the Dutch group De Stijl and Neoplasticism (van Doesburg, Vantongerloo, Gorin, Taeuber-Arp, Hélion, Huszar, Stażewski), and sculptures - spatial compositions by Katarzyna Kobro and works by Władysław Strzemiński. The room was destroyed in 1950. The authorities saw in it a form of art that did not meet the requirements of the communist doctrine and was therefore seen as totally unnecessary, not to say, harmful. In 1960, the Neoplastic Room was reconstructed by Władysław Strzemiński's student Bolesław Utkin, and since that time, it has probably been the most recognisable artistic space on the map of Poland. The arrangement of works exhibited and the character of the room, previously called the Berlin Room, would change from time to time, but eventually since 2010, the Neoplastic Room has been a unique space where a dialogue between artists and exhibition curators regularly takes place.
The exhibition in the Reading Room of the Muzeum Sztuki library was created based on the collection of the Scientific Documentation Department. The following are objects on display that have never been shown before:
- the only photograph of the original Neoplastic Room from 1948,
- original list of guests from June 13, 1948, who participated in the opening of the new seat of the Muzeum Sztuki at Więckowskiego 36, and of the Neoplastic Room,
- model of the Neoplastic Room made by Bolesław Utkin from around 1960,
- documents related to its reconstruction and renovation from 1959 - 1969,
- plans of the Neoplastic Room by Stanisław Cuchra-Cukrowski from 1981 used in its reconstruction at the Presences Polonaises exhibition at the Centre Pompidou in Paris in 1983,
- photographs from various exhibitions, throughout various decades, that the Neoplastic Room has hosted.
Presentation can be visited during the opening hours of the Reading Room, i.e., from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) and from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (on Thursdays).