Loans from Muzeum Sztuki collections
Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź may lend for public exhibition, whether in Poland or abroad, any object comprised in the collections of the Museum. All loan requests must be officially submitted in writing to the Management Board of Muzeum Sztuki at the following postal or e-mail address:
Muzeum Sztuki w Łodzi
Due to high number of loans, loan requests must be submitted no less than six months before the exhibition opening date. Failure to comply with this notice period may lead to refusal of the loan request.
Loan requests for objects comprised in the collections of Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź are considered by the Management Board of the Museum acting on the opinion of the Department of Contemporary Art Collections, Department of Antique Art, and Department of Conservation. Final decision depends on when the request has been made, exhibition plans of Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź, order in which requests have been received from other institutions, and the condition of artworks that are subject to the request. Decision is also made subject to appropriate security and climatic conditions that can be secured at the exhibition venue. The request is also considered in the light of general profile as well as artistic and scientific impact of the exhibition for which the loan is requested.
Loan request is first processed by the Department of Contemporary Art Collections (for Collections of 20th and 21st Century Art) or by the Department of Antique Art and then it goes to the Department of Chief Registrar. If a loan request is approved, the Borrower receives two copies of the Loan Agreement. Signed copy of the Agreement shall be sent back to Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź not later than one month before the planned loan while the date of return is agreed directly with the Department of Chief Registrar not later than two weeks before planned return.
Queries should be addressed to:
Chief Registrar Department:
Edyta Plichta, Chief Registrar, phone: 42 634 39 44, e-mail: email@example.com
Department of Contemporary Art Collections
Paulina Kurc-Maj, Head of Department, phone: 42 639 12 59, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Antique Art
Herbst Palace Museum, Dorota Berbelska, Head of Department, phone: 42 674 96 98, e-mail: email@example.com
Formal loan request should include the following information:
title of the exhibition and its brief description;
list of requested objects;
dates of the exhibition;
time period for which the loan is requested;
contact details of the organiser and persons responsible for the loan (e-mail, address, phone number);
data for the Loan Agreement, such as full name of the organiser, address and names of people authorised by the Borrower to sign Loan Agreements, etc.
Conditions and costs of loan:
- The Borrower shall ensure appropriate security and climatic conditions for the artworks at the exhibition venue. In order to guarantee appropriate security, before a loan request is ultimately approved, Muzeum Sztuki reserves itself the right to check security conditions in planned exhibition venue. Checks are performed by the Museum’s representative at the cost of the Borrower.
- Museums based abroad are requested to submit a Facility Report before the objects have been made available for loan (preferably together with the loan request).
- Transport of objects on loan shall be organised in accordance with Annex 3 (Protection of Objects from the Collections during Transport) to the Regulation of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage of 1 December 2008 on protecting museum collections against fire, theft and other danger that might result in damage or loss of collections and ways of preparing collections for evacuation in case of danger (Journal of Laws [Dz. U.] of 2008 No. 229, item 1528). At the same time, Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź informs that all objects comprised in the Museum’s collections are subject to mandatory protection pursuant to the decision of the Governor of Łódź on the inclusion thereof on the list of “Objects, areas and facilities of high importance to defence, economic interest of the state and public safety in the voivodeship of Łódź that are subject to mandatory protection by specialised defence units or technical facilities”.
- The Borrower shall at his own cost pack and transport objects on loan and will provide packaging material. Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź shall have the right of approval of the transport company specialised in packing and transporting of artworks.
- The Borrower shall cover the cost of convoy that will accompany the transport of artworks on loan from and to the premises of Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź. The Museum shall reserve the right to approve convoy services provider. Convoy services provider must have a valid “Instruction for convoy service for museum collections”, arrange the convoy of artworks in accordance with the Regulation of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage of 2 September 2014 on protecting museum collections against fire, theft or other danger that might result in their damage or loss (Dz. U. of 2014, item 1240), convoy the artworks using only properly qualified security guards authorised to carry firearms (i.e. holders of a certificate of a qualified security officer and authorisation to carry firearms).
- For loans abroad, the Borrower shall pay for the insurance of premises on “nail to nail” basis. Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź reserves the right to appoint its representative (courier) to accompany and witness packing, unpacking, transport, installation, and de-installation of the exhibition and other works connected with artworks on loan. Dates and location of works that require the presence of the Museum’s representative shall be decided by the parties sufficiently in advance. When it comes to artworks on loan, the Borrower shall act according to the representative’s instructions. The Borrower shall pay the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence allowance of the Museum’s courier.
- The parties shall sign an approval report and description of the condition of objects on loan when receiving/ returning the artworks to the Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź.
- Not later than 2 weeks prior to the planned receiving/returning of artworks, the Borrower shall agree the date of transport with the Department of Chief Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +48 42 634 39 44).
- Details pertaining to the packing of artworks shall be agreed with the Department of Conservation (email@example.com, phone: +48 42 639 12 67).
- For artworks displayed in frames, the Borrower shall cover the cost of framing.
Muzeum Sztuki in Łódź reserves the right to collect the fee for preparing artworks to be available to the Borrower and displayed at the exhibition. The fee shall depend on the number of objects on loan and, primarily, on the scope of preparatory works (including conservation).